- If you’re flying economy on Icelandair, be sure to pack your own food or plan to buy some. You won’t be given any free snacks and may not even get free drinks.
- Book your hotel way in advance.
- Take all of the money. Hotels, food, and drinks are expensive. Most natural wonders are free to see but if you take a tour, you’ll have to pay for that, and if you drive, expect to pay about $5 when you park. You’ll rely primarily on credit cards but a little small change *might* come in handy when you want to use a public bathroom.
- Pack for any and every weather condition. It will probably be windy and sunny and rainy today. Make sure you have waterproof shoes.
- Pack a water bottle and drink tap water.
- Pack a swimsuit. There are pools and hot springs everywhere.
- As mentioned earlier, booze is expensive. Here are two options to minimize the pain: A) Pick some up at the duty-free store before leaving the airport. B) Take advantage of happy hours – the AppyHour app (Android / Apple) can help you find the best deals.
- Try to see the Northern Lights, but keep your expectations low. Use the Aurora app (Anroid / Apple) to help you figure out if it’s even worth trying on any given day.
Since I’m still planning and haven’t yet been, I’d appreciate any additional tips you might have?
* Featured image by I, Yelkrokoyade, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2332363